Monday Morning News

Monday, July 03, 2006

Castrated child molester seeks his freedom
Convicted man says his improper urges are gone, but prosecutors say he remains dangerous.
The Orange County Register

Kevin Reilly, a twice-convicted child molester who has been in and out of prisons and mental hospitals for much of his adult life, didn't want to be a pedophile anymore, according to his attorney.

"He understood he was a danger to children and he wanted to control his urges," said Orange County Deputy Public Defender Dinah Granafei.

So Reilly took drastic action in 2003.

He won a court order and paid to be surgically castrated.

"He felt that this was the only way to stop his cravings and immoral conduct," Granafei added.

Now Reilly, who has been locked up at Atascadero Mental Hospital since 2000 when the District Attorney's Office filed a petition labeling him a Sexually Violent Predator (SVP), wants his freedom.

Full story

Ruling expected Monday in trial of accused pedophile
By Janine Anderson

RACINE - John Ohlinger says he was running his own pedophile sting operation when he was arrested in a state-county sting in February 2002, he said in court this week.

Ohlinger, 60, is on trial for child enticement and attempted first-degree sexual assault of a child. He has been accused of trying to set up a weekend rendezvous in his semi truck with a woman and her 12-year-old daughter. The woman and her daughter were decoys created by a state agent running a sting operation through a Yahoo personals site.

Full story

A year ago, Shasta was saved from pedophile
The Associated Press

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - It was a year ago that a small girl with brown hair and a dimpled smile walked into a Denny's restaurant at 2 a.m. in the company of a tall, thin man who might have been her father.

But Joseph Edward Duncan III, 43, wasn't Shasta Groene's father. He was a Level III sex offender with a long record of violent assaults on children.

Alert people in the restaurant recognized the 8-year-old girl, whose pictures had been splashed throughout the region since she was abducted from a home where three people were killed seven weeks before.

Several called 911, and waitress Amber Deahn stalled the two to give police time to respond. After what seemed an agonizing wait, three officers entered the restaurant, arrested Duncan, and brightened the region's spirits with the miraculous rescue.

The good news didn't last long.

Soon it came out that Shasta's 9-year-old brother, Dylan, who also was abducted, had been murdered.

People were outraged to learn of Duncan's record, and that he was free on low bail from a child molestation charge in Minnesota when the Groene children were abducted.

Found in Duncan's vehicle was digital video and computer equipment that Kootenai County prosecutor Bill Douglas said contain "vile" images of what happened to the children at a primitive campsite in Montana.

Full story

blog comments powered by Disqus