I'm a pedophile.

Monday, September 25, 2006

"I'm a pedophile. I've been a pedophile for 20 years. The only reason I'm charged with rape is that no one believes a child can consent to sex. The role of my ministry is to get these cases out of the courtrooms", Philip Distasio told the judge presiding over his trial in Cleveland earlier this month. He stands accused of the rape, kidnapping, gross sexual imposition, and pandering obscenity involving nine autistic boys he was home-schooling.

I cannot even begin to understand the mind of anyone who believes that children "consent" to sex. They do not "consent"... they do what they are told. Period. We raise our children to be respectful of adults, and to follow their directions. We tell our children that their teachers are to obeyed, and that their priests and ministers are to be looked to as examples of a good Christian.

We also tell them about "good" touches, and "bad" touches... but how can we rely upon children to decide between allowing a "bad" touch, or not following the directions of an adult?

When I was 5, I started kindergarten, just like many 5 year olds. The difference was that we were in a northern state, but I was being raised with southern values and rules. In other words, you were seen and not heard, and you ALWAYS, without fail, used "ma'am" and "sir" when addressing adults, and you NEVER lie- or else you get your butt beat. I would dread coming home from school every day, because my Dad would ask me if I said "Yes, ma'am" and "No ma'am" all day to my teacher. Every day, I would tell him the truth, "No, Daddy, I didn't", and I'd get my ass beat. He was furious.

At the end of the first week, my parents had a meeting with my teacher. Dad apologized profusely for my rude behavior. "We brought her up right- I don't know why she refuses to say 'Yes ma'am' and 'No ma'am' to you. She knows better than that!" My teacher replied, "OH! So that's why she keeps saying it... I keep telling her that a simple 'Yes' or 'No' will suffice, but every day she starts off 'ma'am'ing me, and I have to correct her."

They both thought they were doing the right thing... and I tried my best to follow their directions. I was afraid of the consequences of not obeying my Dad, but I also knew that if Dad found out I was disobeying the teacher, I'd be in even MORE trouble. Or at least that what my 5-year-old brain was telling me.

How do we, as adults, teach our children which kind of adult to believe and obey?
How do we, as adults, even begin to understand the mind of anyone who would believe that sexual conduct with minors is EVER legal, consensual, or acceptable? I really don't know.
blog comments powered by Disqus